Excerpts from Last Review (2018)
The Board of Trustees is aware of their responsibility in regard to the stewardship of Catholic Character. The Proprietor’s Appointees take a full role on the board and ensure that Catholic character is a focus of all decisions. The board has a strong relationship with the Principal acknowledging their part in the strengthened culture of the school since the last review.
The School is to be commended for the work it has done in reducing the number of non-preference students above the minimum.
The School also meets its statutory requirements in the following areas:
- Principal’s job description and appraisal goals
- Staff performance appraisal
- Employment pack information
- Students are reverent, enthusiastic and confident to participate in school and class prayer life.
- St Joseph’s is a multi-cultural and inclusive school. Parents and wider community members are welcomed, and treated with courtesy and hospitality.
- The school draws a shared understanding of spirituality from their charism of St Mary of the Cross MacKillop and the Sisters of St Joseph. The school views these women as role models for being disciples of Christ. This spirituality of inclusiveness and service is seen as paramount by staff, whanau and students. It is articulated through the quotes of St Mary MacKillop: ‘Make room for everyone’ and ‘Never see a need without doing something about it’. The students display them through their acceptance and desire to be of assistance to each other.